Dr Charles Edgar Barnes 1879 to 1945, was the founder of the Selkirk School of Nursing. He was born at Forest Ontario and educated at Forest Public School, London Ontario Collegiaate and the Wesyern University. Following graduating from medical school he served in South Africa with the 10th Canadian Field Hospital. Dr Barnes returned to Canada and practised medicine at Pinkerton and Home wood Sanitarium. He came to Selirk as the Medical Sperintend in 1920 ans served until 1945. He died in Victoria BC in 1945.Dr Barnes established the nurses residence and school of nursing that opened in 1926. All subjects were taught by medical staff and the Assistant Matron durng the two year program.At this time, all students were female and requred to live in residence. Clinical practice was supervised by senior nurses. Amongst their many duties were waxing the floors, keeping patients clean and assisting with their meals. Students were paid $40.00 per month. In 1930s and the 1940s, the students graduated a Psychiatric Nurses.In the 1950s a nurse, Margaret Solar, was specifically appointed as a nurse teacher for the school.In 1959, the block system of training commenced. This prevented students from attending classes after working on the wards the same day. The class of 1963 was the first to graduate under this scheme. In 1960, the Psychiatric NursesAct came into existence that established the minimum number of hours. Nurses graduated with the elegal disignation RPN. In 1980, the new Registered Psychiatric Nurses Act which established standards for psychiatric nursing education were published.In 1991, the Provincial budget discontinued funding for the school and the last class to graduate was in 1992. The education of psychiatric nurses transferred to Brandon University for a 4 year undergraduate program leading to a Bachelor of Science in Psychiatric Nursing.